How Not to Get the Flu

How Not to Get the Flu

Luke Fraley, Journalist

If you don’t know by now it is flu season. It usually peaks December to February, and goes no further than May.   Many schools are closing like Greenbrier and Mercer is disregarding attendance. Many James Monroe, Peterstown, and Mountain View student are sick from the flu. One is never fully immune to it but there are always ways to stop it.  As this season goes on we wonder how can we prevent this.

First off you need to realize the flu has been around a long time, diagnosed as such around the early nineteen-hundreds. In 1918 the flu resulted in many deaths killing 50 million people worldwide. The flu isn’t as bad as it used to be thanks to more knowledge about it and vaccines. Still, viruses can evolve and even be fatal: up to 12,000 to 56,000 people die annually. Though the chances of you dying from it are very small it is still something to consider.

One of the most important things you can do is get a flu shot. It can’t protect you against everything, but it can at least protect three of four viruses annually.  Another, important practice to do is have healthy habits. This includes washing your hands, not sharing food, and avoiding close contact to someone with the flu. The last thing you can do is eat a healthy diet that will help support your immune system, with foods like oranges, broccoli, garlic, and almonds. If you follow all these guidelines your chances of not getting the flu will be pretty high. If you would like to know more please visit https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/actions-prevent-flu.htm.