Taking Care of Your Mental Health

In a world as busy as ours, mental health is something that is not emphasized enough. Mental health is especially important for young people, because they are at a point in their life that they are having to deal with a lot of pressure. Deciding your future, dealing with peer pressure, and trying to make good grades are just a few things your average teenager may deal with. This is not including other issues that they may deal with in their personal life with family, friends, and other significant others. With that said, we need to provide ways and encourage students to take care of their mental health.

James Monroe High School is fortunate to have a psychologist at the school. This is a great resource to have because she can help students who are struggling with anything. The psychologist will not turn anyone down, and she can help students through minor problems like the stress of senior year, or major issues like if you have experienced something tragic in your life. If you would like to see the school psychologist, all you have to do is go to the nurse and make an appointment. The nurse will explain the details, and if you are under eighteen she will give you a form for your parents to sign. If you would like someone to talk with you the school highly recommends the psychologist.

Also, James Monroe has our school guidance counselors who will talk with students, too. The teachers and staff are friendly and like to put students first. If you are a freshman we have mentors for you that are selected upperclassman. Sometimes it is easier to discuss issues with another student because they may have struggled with similar problems, and they can tell you what worked for them. Overall James Monroe is a small, friendly school that provides resources for mental health. It is a serious issue and one that the school takes seriously.