James Monroe Golf Team Update

James Monroe High School’s golf team competed in its first two matches this year, with a win and a loss. The first one was on 17 August 2021 at the Lewisburg Elks Golf course with the Greenbrier East and Pocahontas High School teams. Although the team lost this match it gained valuable experience with tough, seasoned competition in a more formal setting than casual golf. The Mavericks hosted a match at Fountain Springs Golf Course against Narrows High School on 30 August 2021 and came out on top. Senior and team captain Shad Sauvage had the best score, followed by Braxton Charlton, Josh Burks, Blaine Fox, Garritt Wright, Hudson Bogges, Colin Fox, and Garrett Blankenship. The team currently has twelve golfers of varying skill levels and appreciates the outpouring of support from our community. This includes donations of golf clubs and golf balls from Steve Ellison, Dickie Meadows, Elaine Halki, Renee Harvey, and Steve Newberry, plus use of the Fountain Springs Golf Course as a practice and match location. Mike Wiley, Frank Gagnier, and Tom Gardinier provides the team expertise in the finer points of this challenging sport. Student-athletes are not allowed to use motorized golf carts for match play or practice, so the team is looking to acquire wheeled pull carts as an alternative to carrying their clubs on their backs. Community members interested in supporting the program financially should contact Coach Scott Womack via email at [email protected], telephone at (304)-753-5182, or via FaceBook messenger. Golf is a lifetime activity that develops mental focus and contributes to a healthy, active lifestyle.

Senior Shad Sauvage putting out at the Lewisburg Elks Golf Course match.

Colin Fox hitting a drive off of the #9 at Fountain Springs Golf Course

Courtesy of the Monroe Watchman